International Students


NYU welcomes international students! In most cases, international students must obtain a student visa in order to attend. It is important to allow plenty of time between admission and the start of the program to ensure that all visa steps are completed. As such, all international students must submit their I-20 application to the Office for Global Services by the April 1, 2018 deadline. Permanent residents and individuals in the U.S. pursuant to certain non-immigrant visa categories are not required to submit visa documentation to enroll in courses. Please contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) with specific visa related questions at

All international students MUST check in with the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) in order to be in compliance. All students who receive a visa for this program will be required to attend a OGS check-in workshop which will be facilitated by Tisch.

Currently studying IN the United States

International students studying in the US (at NYU or at another academic institution) who has a F-1 or J-1 visa are not required to submit additional visa documentation to enroll in courses at NYU.

Currently studying OUTSIDE the United States

NYU requires international students enrolling in courses to have an F-1 or J-1 visa. The NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) can assist you in obtaining an I-20 to process your F-1 or J-1 visa. After accepting your place in the program and payment of your confirmation deposit has been received, you will receive instructions for submitting the I-20/DS-2019 application.  The I-20 is the immigration document used to apply for your F-1 student visa. In order to obtain the I-20, students will need to turn in a complete application to the OGS office.  You will need your student identification number or Nnumber to fill out the application. This Nnumber will have been included in your acceptance email to the Tisch Summer High School Program.

Please go to the OGS portal to complete your application.

Incomplete applications will be placed on administrative hold until a complete application is received. If you have any questions related to this application, please contact OGS at To ensure adequate time for visa processing, send applications to OGS as soon as you can.

Processing within the Office of Global Services takes about 2 weeks.  When your I-20 is ready, they will send the document to your preferred address.  Once you receive the I-20, you will see your SEVIS** number over the barcode.  You can use your SEVIS ID to pay your SEVIS fee and schedule an appointment with the US Consulate abroad to obtain your F-1 student visa.  You shouldn’t schedule an appointment at your embassy without the I-20 form, but we encourage you to visit their website so you know what the timeline may be for any required security checks.

Contact them with specific visa related questions at

*Please note International students are required to have NYU health insurance or equivalent and will be automatically enrolled in the comprehensive plan. The cost of comprehensive NYU health insurance for one month is $355. These summer health insurance rates are valid 5/14/18 – 8/20/18 and the Tisch Summer High School program takes place between July 8th and August 4th. Please visit here for a waiver or call (212) 443-1020 . Contact the Student Health Insurance Services at (212) 443-1020 for any insurance-related questions. Hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m., Friday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Each student and dependent who is enrolled in the Comprehensive Plans will receive an insurance identification card at their permanent address within the United States. Instructions on how to access the complete plan brochure online will be included with the ID cards. If your permanent address is outside the United States, please contact CHP at (877) 373-1170 or and provide them with your local address. If you do not receive the ID card within three weeks of the effective date of the policy or within three weeks of your request to enroll in the plan (whichever is later), please contact CHP at (877) 373-1170 or at An online ID card can be obtained by going to the CHP web site shown above. Click the link for “Online ID Card.” We encourage you to carry your NYU and health insurance cards at all times


**Please note It is the policy of New York University that an International Student Fee ($90) is charged to an international student every time the student registers for class. Students enrolled for summer classes will be charged only once for the summer. Additionally, students will be responsible for paying the SEVIS fee, a U.S. Government fee that supports the operation of the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
Note to international students from NYU Office of Global Services (OGS): Individuals who enter the U.S. on a B visa (tourist) or visa waiver are not eligible to participate in a course of study at NYU as a visiting student. An F-1 or J-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a “full course of study” to achieve a specific educational objective at an academic institution in the United States.  Once the educational objective has been achieved, the F-1 or J-1 student is expected by the U.S. government to depart the U.S. Pursuant to these guidelines, University Programs sessions at New York University are designed to be singular academic experiences for international students. Therefore, international students are encouraged to have one such experience per year, and should not plan to apply for more than one University Programs session per year. Please contact OGS to clarify any questions related to your particular educational objective. When entering the U.S., be sure to show your F-1 or J-1 student visa and I-20 to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and make sure they mark “F-1 D/S” in your passport.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s